Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dress Design for 'Shabby Apple' Dresses...


Dress Design for Shabby Apple Dresses Competition!

After missing last years competition from Shabby Apple, I decided that this was the year to do it. So here is my design sketch...

After searching for a dress for this Spring season, I had no luck whatsoever (I live in Australia). Most Spring dresses, are above the knee, have no sleeves and are so low it just gets embarrassing! So, when the Shabby Apple Dare to Design competition returned for this year, I decided that it was time for me to design a beautiful MODEST dress for Spring. The inspiration for this dress starts when my Mum bought me a pretty top for winter secondhand and I immediately fell in love with its butterfly sleeve design! This was the base inspiration for my design and you can see the top on the top right hand corner of my 'Inspiration' box below. This top was very feminine, but unfortunately the neck line was very low! I then quickly thought of a picture I had of the gorgeous Audrey Hepburn and then and there added a very high and flattering neckline. This created my bodice for the dress!

The attached skirt of my dress was a lot harder to design. One of my favourite skirts for Spring is a pretty knee length tiered skirt from Esprit. I decided that I would use this to create the attached skirt of my dress. When you walk in this skirt, it flits and floats around you and is very feminine because it is a circle skirt! Once this was drawn onto my sketch, a simple belt was needed to complete the dress, a very thin one! It would be in a simple plain colour, probably the same colour as the shoes you wear with the dress. The back of the dress will be zipped up with a long zipper.

Printed Chiffon, in a gorgeous vibrant pattern for Spring, whether a feminine floral pattern or a bold one, should be used for this dress, to give a formal look. An acetate lining should be used in a plain colour. For example, the sample of the blue printed chiffon in the box below, would use pale blue acetate lining. This will make the dress very delicate and graceful.

I believe it is modest enough to wear to Church or I could easily see this dress with a beautiful hat, like the one below, worn to a garden wedding! This dress is perfect for SPRING 2011!




For more info, please visit:



1 comment:

  1. So true! Here in Australia it is impossible (nearly!) to find modest clothing!

    I think it would be rather fun to get as many Aussie girls together who are wanting to dress modestly and do a kinda pure fashion thing. Or even just start of by posting photos of modest outfits you have come up with :) I'm writing a post on Modesty at the moment so hopefully I'll be done soon! :D
    God Bless & keep it up!
    Montana
    P.S. hope you post again soon! :D

    ReplyDelete